Friday, January 9, 2009

Nearing 2 weeks BELOW Zero!!!

We are on the verge of a heatwave....the forecast says we will see 3 degrees tomorrow! It will be the first time the thermometer has risen above 0 in 12 days. Wednesday was the coldest day of the year, w/ temperatures staying close to -19 here in town for most of the day. This has been one of the longest cold snaps in Anchorage history. I never thought I would say it, but I would be completely content w/ 2 weeks of cloud cover right about now...at least that would ensure warmer weather.

Even though these temps grate on the nerves, the beauty has been striking. Beautiful, clear blue skies, with lots of deceiving sunlight. The moon has been amazing and we have been able to see Venus in the evening as well. Additionally, every surface is blanketed under stark white hoar frost. Even the air takes on a crystal-like quality in these temperatures and it is maddeningly beautiful when the sun hits it. It's almost like a kaleidoscope. The dichotomy of the natural beauty and brutal cold has been very interesting to me.

No comments: